Ensign John Davis Camp No. 10 understands that your privacy is important to you and that you care about how your personal data is used. We respect and value the privacy of everyone who visits this website, https://suvcw.org.uk and will only collect and use personal data in ways that are described here, and in a way that is consistent with our obligations and your rights under the law.
1. Definitions and Interpretation
“Account” means an account required to access and/or use certain areas and features of our site;
“Cookie” means a small text file placed on your computer or device when you visit certain parts of our site;
“Cookie Law” means the relevant parts of the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003
2. Information About Us
“Our Site” is owned and operated by Ensign John Davis Camp 10, Department at Large, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, located in London, England.
3. What Does This Policy Cover?
4. What is Personal Data?
Personal data is defined by the General Data Protection Regulation (EU Regulation 2016/679) (the “GDPR”) as ‘any information relating to an identifiable person who can be directly or indirectly identified in particular by reference to an identifier’. Personal data is, in simpler terms, any information about you that enables you to be identified. Personal data covers information such as your name and contact details, but it also covers less obvious information such as identification numbers, electronic location data and other online identifiers.
5. What Are My Rights?
Under the GDPR you have the following rights, which we will always work to uphold:
- The right to access the personal data we hold about you.
- The right to have your personal data rectified if any of your personal data held by us is inaccurate or incomplete. Please contact us using the details in Part 13 to find out more.
- The right to be forgotten; the right to ask us to delete or otherwise dispose of your personal data that we have. Please contact us using the details in Part 13 to find out more.
- The right to object to us using your personal data for a particular purpose or purposes.
- The right to data portability. We do not use your personal data in this way.
- Rights relating to automated decision-making and profiling. We do not use your personal data in this way.
For more information about our use of your personal data or exercising your rights as outlined above, please contact us using the details provided in Part 13.
Further information about your rights can also be obtained from the Information Commissioner’s Office or your local Citizens Advice Bureau.
If you have any cause for complaint about our use of your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
6. What Data Do We Collect?
Depending upon your use of Our Site, we may collect some or all of the following personal and non-personal data:
- Email address;
- IP address;
- Web browser type and version;
- Operating system;
- A list of URLs starting with a referring site, your activity on Our Site, and the site you exit to;
- Articles on this site may include embedded content (videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website;
7. How Do You Use My Personal Data?
Under the GDPR we must always have a lawful basis for using personal data. This may be because you have consented to our use of your personal data or because it is in our legitimate interests to use it. Your personal data may be used for one of the following purposes:
- Providing and managing your access to Our Site;
- Personalising and tailoring your experience on Our Site;
- Communicating with you. This may include responding to emails or calls from you;
- Supplying you with information by email;
- Retaining a copy of your Application to join the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (which will also be forwarded to the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War Headquarters in the USA to comply with their regulations).
- Forwarding your contact details to the Officers of Ensign John Davis Camp No. 10, to enable you to be contacted regarding Camp business;
- Analysing your use of Our Site and gathering feedback to enable us to continually improve Our Site and your user experience.
With your permission and/or where permitted by law, we may also use your personal data for purposes which may include contacting you with information and news. You will not be sent any unlawful marketing or spam. We will always work to fully protect your rights and comply with our obligations under the GDPR and the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003, and you will always have the opportunity to opt-out.
Third Parties (including Google Analytics) whose content appears on Our Site may use third-party Cookies. Please note that we do not control the activities of such third-parties, nor the data that they collect and use themselves, and we advise you to check the privacy policies of any such third-parties.
8. How Long Will You Keep My Personal Data?
We will not keep your personal data for any longer than is necessary in light of the reason(s) for which it was first collected. Your personal data will be kept for the following periods:
- If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognise and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue;
- A copy of your Application to join the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War will be held for the duration of your membership.
9. Do You Share My Personal Data?
We will not share any of your personal data with any third-parties outside of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War for any purposes, subject to two important exceptions:
- In some limited circumstances we may be legally required to share certain personal data, which might include yours, if we are involved in legal proceedings or complying with legal obligations, a court order, or the instructions of a government authority;
- Comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
10. How Can I Control My Personal Data?
In addition to your rights under the GDPR, we aim to give you strong controls on our use of your data (including the ability to opt-out of receiving emails from us) by asking us by using the contact details provided in Part 13.
You can request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal or security purposes.
You may access certain areas of Our Site without providing any personal data at all. However, to use all features and functions available on Our Site you may be required to submit or allow for the collection of certain data.
11. How Can I Access My Personal Data?
If you want to know what personal data we have about you, you an ask us for details. All requests should be sent to the email address shown in Part 13. We will aim to respond within 28 days but more time may be required up to a maximum of three months from the date we receive your request.
Our site may place and access certain first-party Cookies on your computer or device. First-party Cookies are those placed directly by us and are used only by us. These are used to facilitate and improve your experience of Our Site.
- If you leave a Comment on Our Site you may opt-in to saving your name,. email address and website in Cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another Comment;
- If you edit or publish an article, a Cookie will be saved on your browser. This Cookie includes no personal data.
By using Our Site you may also receive certain third-party Cookies on your computer or device. These are used on Our Site for affiliate tracking and analytics.
Our Site uses analytics services provided by Google. Website analytics refers to a set of tools used to collect and analyse anonymous usage information, enabling us to better understand how Our Site is used and enables us to continually make improvements; Cookies are used to gather the required information;
13. How Do I Contact You?
To contact us about anything to do with your personal data and data protection, including to make a subject access request, please contact our Camp Secretary:
We may change this Privacy Notice from time to time. This may be necessary, for example, if the law changes, or if we change anything in a way that affects personal data protection.
This website and its content is copyright of Ensign John Davis Camp No.10 – © Ensign John Davis Camp No.10 2019-2022. All rights reserved.
You may not create a link to this website from another website or document without Ensign John Davis Camp No.10’s prior written consent.
You may not, except with our express written permission, distribute or commercially exploit the content. Nor may you transmit it or store it in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval system.
The information contained in Our Site is for general information purposes only. While we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to Our Site or the information, services, or related graphics contained on Our Site for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of Our Site.
Through Our Site you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of Ensign John Davis Camp No.10. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorsement.
Every effort is made to keep Our Site up and running smoothly. However, Ensign John Davis Camp No.10 takes no responsibility for, and will not be liable for, the website being temporarily unavailable due to technical issues beyond our control.